Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fabric Swatches- Shirting and Novelty

These three swatches are more from the lot of quilters remnants. In fact, these three pieces appear to have been pulled from various sources. The purple pinstripe fabric is a woven plain weave shirting fabric that I believe was at one time indeed a shirt that was torn up for scraps. Because of the checkerboard white patterning I was excited thinking that was part of the woven structure until I started picking that fabric apart with my pick glass in hand and realized, that they actually PRINTED the darker purple lines and the white checkerboard pattern on top of the plain weave light purple fabric. The fabric swatch with florals in light pink and purple actually originated as a nightgown and appears to be some form of non-woven material that has a felted feeling to it. The Third Fabric swatch shown above has a very cool sketchy feel to the floral pattern placed on an alternating line pattern in the background that reminds me very much of hand knitting knit and purl sections in a checkerboard pattern.  And what is the single connecting color of all three fabrics? Why yes, Purple it is indeed. Since they all three had purple in them I decided I would post them as a trio.